Monday, February 23, 2009

Movie Review: Friday the 13th

If you can't already tell, I like to be versatile. So in addition to social commentary, I would like to present my first movie review.

So Jason strikes again. Quietly, I'm wondering why Hollywood keeps pushing out remakes of scary movies from the 70s and 80s. It gets a little ridiculous when you realize that Damien has been the son of the devil since 1970 and Jason has been kicking ass since Jamie Lee Curtis was in her twenties. We can only blame it on the writer's strike, lack of creativity, or plain laziness....I'll guess the laziness more than anything else.

Like all things bootleg, it can never be the original. What I will say is that Friday the 13th turned out to be more of a comedy than anything else. As usual, the caucasian characters lend laughter to the drama as they always seem to want to know what is going on whenever there is a weird noise. Please note that black people do not do this. If we hear something strange, we are running away and not trying to help your ass. Scream if you want to, but we give us us free like Amistad.

The only disappointment in the film is that the token black friend did not stay true to his race (with the exception of his marijuana habit). This character (although I do not remember his name, we will call him Deandre), decided to go looking for his friend who had not returned. Write this down if you won't remember it in the future, but Black people do not help others in dangerous situations. I'm in law school so I acknowlege this behavior since there is no legal duty to rescue. The rationale behind our failure to resuce is that there is no point in two of us dying when one would have survived. So for my friends of other races, never take your black friend camping with you. If you do, be prepared to save your own ass.

The writers quickly amended the flaw to Deandre's character because as soon as Jason approached, that ninja ran for his life. He did hurdles over bushes and everything. I don't know about you, but this was one of the greatest parts of the film. I laughed my ass off! Of course it would not have been a true depiction of a negro if they did not touch on his athletic prowess (Free Michael Vick!).

All in all, the movie was essentially whack with some very funny moments. Oh before I forget, there were two very irrelevant sex scenes for the freaks out there. My Siskel and Ebert gives this movie half a thumb up.

________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment